R1 Visa for Religious Workers: Path to Green Card

Welcome to Passage Law’s comprehensive guide on the r1 visa. This visa category, also known as the r-1 visa or religious visa USA, is specifically designed for non-immigrant religious workers in the USA. If you’re involved in a religious vocation or occupation and are looking to work in the United States, the visa r1 is your ticket. This guide covers everything from r1 visa requirements to the application process and transitioning from an r1 visa to a green card.

R1 Visa for Religious Workers: Path to Green Card

What is the R1 Visa?

The r1 visa, or the religious worker visa, allows foreign nationals to enter the United States to work in a religious capacity. This visa is essential for those who are part of a recognized religious denomination and wish to perform religious work in the USA. It is different from other visa categories as it specifically serves the needs of religious workers.

R1 Visa Requirements

To qualify for an r1 visa, applicants must meet specific requirements:

• Affiliation: The applicant must be a member of a religious denomination with a bona fide nonprofit religious organization in the United States for at least two years immediately preceding the application.
• Religious Occupation: The work must be in a religious vocation or occupation. This includes ministers, priests, and other religious workers.
• Nonprofit Organization: The religious organization in the USA must be a nonprofit organization.
• Full-time Position: The position must be full-time, usually at least 35 hours per week.
• Compensation: Proof of compensation, which can include salaried or non-salaried compensation, must be provided.

Application Process for the R1 Visa

Step 1: Employer Petition

The religious organization in the USA must file Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker, with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This form includes all necessary documentation to establish the applicant’s qualifications and the organization’s eligibility.

Step 2: Visa Application

Once the I-129 petition is approved, the applicant can apply for the r1 visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country. This involves submitting Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, and scheduling a visa interview.

Step 3: Visa Interview

During the visa interview, applicants must provide:

• A valid passport
• A copy of the approved Form I-129
• Form DS-160 confirmation page
• Visa application fee receipt
• Evidence of membership in the religious denomination
• Proof of the religious organization’s nonprofit status

Step 4: Visa Issuance

If the visa officer is satisfied with the application and interview, the r1 visa will be issued, allowing the applicant to enter the United States.

Transitioning From R1 Visa to Green Card

One of the main advantages of the r1 visa is the potential to transition to a green card, allowing for permanent residency in the USA.

R1 Visa to Green Card Process

  1. Employment-Based Green Card: The religious organization can sponsor the r1 visa holder for an employment-based green card by filing Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant.
  2. Adjustment of Status: If the I-360 petition is approved and the priority date is current, the r1 visa holder can file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, to transition to a green card.

Requirements for Green Card

• Continuous employment in a qualifying religious position for at least two years before filing the I-360 petition.
• The religious organization must continue to be a bona fide nonprofit religious organization.

Costs Associated with the R1 Visa

Understanding the costs involved in obtaining an r1 visa is crucial for planning.

DS-160 Cost

The fee for submitting Form DS-160, the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, is $160. This fee is non-refundable and must be paid before scheduling the visa interview.

Sponsorship Costs

The costs associated with sponsoring an r1 visa can vary. Usually, the religious organization will bear the costs of filing Form I-129. Additionally, there may be legal fees if the organization chooses to hire an attorney for assistance.

Adjustment of Status Costs

For those transitioning from an r1 visa to a green card, the costs include filing fees for Form I-360 and Form I-485. The total cost can vary, but applicants should be prepared for expenses in the range of several hundred to a few thousand dollars.

R1 Visa Salary Requirements

The r1 visa requires that religious workers are compensated for their services. Compensation can be in the form of a salaried position or non-salaried support, such as housing, food, or stipends. The sponsoring organization must provide evidence of how the religious worker will be compensated.

R1 Visa Processing Time

The processing time for an r1 visa can vary. Generally, the USCIS takes several months to process Form I-129. Once the petition is approved, the visa application process at the U.S. embassy or consulate can take additional weeks to months.

R1 Visa to Green Card Processing Time

Transitioning from an r1 visa to a green card involves multiple steps and can take anywhere from several months to a few years, depending on the specific circumstances and processing times at the USCIS.

R1 Visa Interview Questions

During the visa interview, applicants should be prepared to answer questions related to their religious affiliation, the nature of their work, the organization they will be working for, and their plans while in the United States. Common questions include:

• How long have you been a member of your religious denomination?
• What specific duties will you perform in the United States?
• How are you going to get paid for the work you do?
• Can you provide evidence of the religious organization’s nonprofit status?

Why Choose Passage Law for Your Religious Visa

At Passage Law, we specialize in providing comprehensive immigration services, including the r1 visa for religious workers. Our experienced attorneys are well-trained in the field of religious visa applications and can guide you through every step of the process. Whether you need help with the initial petition, visa application, or transitioning from an r1 visa to a green card, Passage Law is your trusted partner in achieving your immigration goals.

Explore our website to learn more about our services, read success stories from our clients, and consult with us to start your r1 visa application today. Passage Law – your pathway to a successful religious mission in the United States.


Request a Consultation

"*" indicates required fields

How Can We Help
I Have Read The Disclaimer*
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.