What Documents do I Need for the Citizenship Interview

After you have submitted form N400 to apply to naturalize and had your biometrics taken at the local USCIS Application Support Center (ASC), you should then be invited to attend your naturalization interview at the closest USCIS Field Office.

You will be notified about your interview location, date and time through a USCIS letter mailed or emailed to you. Be sure to carefully mark down the date of the interview on your calendar and set up a reminder using your task management system or smartphone. We recommend arriving at least a half hour before the time of your actual interview – you should factor in travel time and the impact of traffic. After all of the time and effort spent to get your interview set up, you simply do not want to be late or miss it entirely and then seek to reschedule.

On the interview notice you will be alerted in bold letters that “You MUST BRING the following with you to the interview:” What follows are the key items that your adjudicating officer will ask you to provide in her office at the interview, and the first item in fact is required to even get past security and into the waiting room:

  • Interview notice letter (have this letter available to show to the USCIS security officers before you enter the metal detector at the entrance to the Field Office. The officers will check that your letter shows you do have an appointment within the next half and that you are not too late or too early.)
  • Green card (also known as your “Alien Registration Card”).
  • Passport (bring your current passport and any expired passports that can be helpful for showing past travel dates or issued visas).
  • If you are a man: Selective Service Registration (only for those who were required to register, bring either proof of registration or a status information letter from the Selective Service).
  • If you have been arrested or detained anywhere in the world and no charges were filed: Court-certified arrest report and certified statement from the court or arresting agency that no charges were filed.
  • If you have been arrested or detained and charges were filed or you were convicted:  Court-certified arrest reports, charging documents, court dispositions, sentencing record, and evidence that you completed your sentence, such as a probation record
  • If your record was expunged or removed: bring a court-certified order for this expungement or an original statement from the court stating a criminal record no longer exists.
  • If you have a criminal issue in your past or an issue related to proving good moral character: bring proof that you have maintained good moral character for the “statutory period” for your case. Examples of evidence include: proof you have paid your taxes and letters of support from an employer or colleague.
  •  If you are naturalizing on a faster three year timeline on the basis of your marriage to a U.S. citizen: bring a certified marriage certificate, any divorce or death certificates for a prior marriage of yourself or your spouse, your spouse’s birth certificate.
  • If you are naturalizing on the basis of your service in the U.S. armed forces: bring your discharge certificate or form DD214.


Request a Consultation

"*" indicates required fields

How Can We Help
I Have Read The Disclaimer*
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.