Green Card Renewal – Expert Guidance from Passage Law

Renewing your green card is a crucial step in maintaining your permanent resident status in the United States. This guide by Passage Law provides all the necessary information and practical solutions to ensure a smooth green card renewal process. From understanding the requirements to managing the application form, we cover everything you need to know about green card renewal.

Understanding Green Card Renewal

Understanding Green Card Renewal

A green card, also known as a permanent resident card, is issued to individuals who have been granted permanent residency in the United States. This card is valid for ten years, after which it must be renewed. Renewing your green card ensures that you maintain your legal status and enjoy all the benefits associated with being a permanent resident.

When to Apply for Green Card Renewal

It is recommended to apply for green card renewal six months before your current card expires. This timeframe allows sufficient processing time and ensures that you do not face any legal issues due to an expired green card. If your card has already expired, you should apply for renewal as soon as possible to avoid any complications.

Requirements for Green Card Renewal

The requirements to renew your green card are straightforward. You must:

  1. Fill out the Application for Replacement of Permanent Resident Card, Form I-90.
  2. Provide evidence of your current permanent resident status.
  3. Submit a copy of your expired or expired green card.
  4. Pay the applicable filing fee.
  5. Provide biometric information, including fingerprints and a photograph.

How to Apply for Green Card Renewal

To extend your green card, take the following actions:

  1. Complete Form I-90: This form is available on the USCIS website. You can fill it out online or download the form and submit it by mail.
  2. Gather Required Documents: Ensure you have a copy of your current green card and any other required documentation.
  3. Pay the Filing Fee: The current fee for Form I-90 is $455, plus an $85 biometric services fee. For the most recent pricing details, see the USCIS website.
  4. Submit Your Application: If applying online, submit the form and upload the required documents. If applying by mail, send the completed form and documents to the appropriate USCIS address.
  5. Attend Biometric Appointment: USCIS will schedule an appointment for you to provide your fingerprints and photograph.

Tracking Your Green Card Renewal Application Status

After you have submitted your application, it’s crucial to keep track of its status. The USCIS Case Status Online tool is a valuable resource for monitoring the progress of your green card renewal application. You will need the receipt number from your application confirmation to check the status. Keeping an eye on your I-90 application status ensures you are aware of any additional steps or issues that may arise during the process.

How to Proceed Should Your Green Card Renewal Be Postponed

Sometimes, delays can occur in the green card renewal process. If your renewal application is taking longer than expected, consider the following steps:

  1.     Check USCIS Processing Times: Compare your application’s wait time with the current processing times listed on the USCIS website.
  2.     Contact USCIS: If your application exceeds the normal processing time, you can contact USCIS for an update.
  3.     Consult Passage Law: Our attorneys at Passage Law can assist you in addressing any delays or issues with your green card renewal application.

Common Reasons for Green Card Renewal Delays

Several factors can cause delays in green card renewal:

  • Incomplete Applications: Ensure all required fields in Form I-90 are filled out correctly and all necessary documents are included.
  • Biometrics Appointment Delays: Sometimes, scheduling or attending your biometrics appointment can cause delays.
  • Background Checks: Extended background checks can also slow down the renewal process.

Biometric Appointment for Green Card Renewal

As part of the green card renewal process, USCIS requires applicants to attend a biometric appointment. Your signature, picture, and fingerprints will be taken at this appointment. Here’s what to expect:

  1.     Appointment Notice: After submitting your Form I-90, you will receive an appointment notice with the date, time, and location of your biometric appointment.
  2.     What to Bring: Bring the appointment notice, your expired or expiring green card, and a valid photo ID.
  3.     What Happens: The appointment usually involves fingerprinting, photographing, and signing.

Our team at Passage Law can help you prepare for your biometric appointment and ensure you have all the necessary documentation.

Renewing a Conditional Green Card

If you have a conditional green card, which is valid for two years, the renewal process is slightly different. Instead of Form I-90, you need to file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, or Form I-829 for entrepreneurs. Here’s how to proceed:

  1.     File Form I-751 or I-829: Submit the appropriate form to USCIS within 90 days before your conditional green card expires.
  2.     Submit Supporting Documents: Include evidence that supports your continued eligibility for permanent residence.
  3.     Attend Interview (if required): USCIS may require an interview to confirm the authenticity of your application.

Travelling Abroad While Your Green Card Renewal is Pending

Travelling outside the United States while your green card renewal application is pending can be risky. If your green card expires while you are abroad, re-entry into the U.S. could be problematic. To avoid issues:

  1.     Apply for a Reentry Permit: If you plan to be outside the U.S. for an extended period, apply for a reentry permit using Form I-131.
  2.     Carry Proof of Pending Renewal: Bring a copy of your I-90 receipt notice to show you have applied for renewal.
  3.     Consult Passage Law: Our attorneys can advise you on the best steps to take if you must travel while your renewal is pending.

Changing a Damaged, Stolen, or Lost Green Card

If your green card is lost, stolen, or damaged, you will need to replace it by filing Form I-90. Here’s what to do:

  1.     File Form I-90: Complete and submit the form as soon as possible to start the replacement process.
  2.     Report the Loss: Report the lost or stolen green card to the local authorities and keep a copy of the police report.
  3.     Carry Proof: While waiting for the replacement, carry proof of your permanent resident status, such as a copy of your green card or an I-551 stamp in your passport.

How Passage Law Can Help with Green Card Renewal

Renewing your green card can be a complex and stressful process. Passage Law offers expert guidance and support to ensure your application is completed accurately and efficiently. Our services include:

  • Personalized Consultation: Discuss your specific situation with our experienced immigration attorneys.
  • Application Assistance: We help you complete Form I-90 and gather all necessary documents.
  • Case Monitoring: We track the status of your application and keep you informed of any updates.
  • Problem Resolution: If any issues arise, we work to resolve them quickly to avoid delays.

Benefits of Timely Green Card Renewal

Renewing your green card on time ensures that you maintain your permanent resident status and can continue to live and work in the United States without interruption. Other benefits include:

  • Unrestricted Travel: An up-to-date green card allows for easier travel in and out of the United States.
  • Employment Authorization: Employers require a valid green card for employment verification.
  • Social Benefits: Access to social security benefits, Medicare, and other government services depends on a valid green card.

Costs Associated with Green Card Renewal

Renewing your green card involves certain costs:

  • Filing Fee: The fee for Form I-90 is $455.
  • Biometric Services Fee: An additional $85 for biometric services.
  • Legal Fees: If you choose to use an attorney, Passage Law offers competitive rates for our comprehensive services.

Online Green Card Renewal

USCIS offers the option to renew your green card online, which can simplify the process. Here’s how to renew online:

  1.     Create a USCIS Account: Register on the USCIS website to start your application.
  2.     Complete Form I-90: Fill out the form online and upload the required documents.
  3.     Pay Fees: Pay the filing and biometric fees online.
  4.     Track Your Application: Use your USCIS account to monitor the status of your application.

For more information or to schedule a consultation, visit our website or call our office. Let Passage Law help you renew your green card and secure your future in the United States.


Request a Consultation

"*" indicates required fields

How Can We Help
I Have Read The Disclaimer*
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.