If you are a U.S. citizen, you can file a petition for a foreign fiance(e) to travel to the United States to get married. The K-1 visa itself is a nonimmigrant visa that allows your foreign fiance(e) to enter the United States one time and stay for 90 days. If a marriage does not take place during the 90 day period, the foreign fiance(e) must return overseas. If the marriage does take place, the fiance(e) can petition to adjust his or her status to legal permanent residency. 

Requirements to Apply

  • Petitioner and applicant must be legally free to marry
  • Petitioner and applicant must have met in person within the past two years
  • The fiancé intends to enter the U.S. solely to marry the U.S. petitioner
  • The holder of the K1 Visa must have the intention to marry the U.S. petitioner within 90 days of arrival to the United States.

Required Forms 

  • Form I-129f, Petition for Alien Fiance(e);

Required Government Filing Fees

  • $535 for Form I-129f ;
  • $265 for K-1 Visa at U.S. Consulate;  

Required Documentation

  • A passport that is valid for at least 6 months beyond your intended period of stay in U.S. (unless there are country-specific agreements that provide exemptions);
  • Divorce or death certificate(s) of any previous spouses of both the petitioner and the beneficiary; 
  • Police certificate from the beneficiary’s present country of residence and all countries where you have lived in six months or more since age 16;
  • Medical examination;
  • Evidence of financial support; 
  • Two (2) passport-style photograph of Petitioner;
  • Two (2) passport-style photograph of Beneficiary;
  • Evidence of relationship between the beneficiary and the petitioner, including:
    • Photographs of the Beneficiary and Petitioner together with family and friends;
    • Tickets, itineraries, and other travel evidence; 
    • Correspondence between Beneficiary and Petitioner; 
    • Sworn declarations from family and friends who can attest to a genuine relationship
  • DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application

The Process

  1. Submit your petition
  2. Receive receipt notice from government 
  3. Receive approval notice from USCIS
  4. Receive notice from Embassy 
  5. Consular interview at the Embassy