Get Your EB-4 Visa: Special Legal Immigrant Expertise

You may be eligible for employment-based permanent residency if you qualify for any one of the following “Special Immigrant” categories (EB-4):

Ministers of Religion and Other Religious Workers

This category is for ministers of religion and certain other religious workers under the EB-4 religious worker segment. To qualify, you must have been a member of a bona fide non-profit religious organization in the U.S. and have been continuously carrying out the religious vocation or occupation that you intend to engage in the U.S. for at least two years. The process involves submitting an I-360 application for religious workers, mindful of the I-360 processing time and I-360 fee.

Get Your EB-4 Visa: Special Legal Immigrant Expertise

Special Immigrant Juveniles

If you are in the U.S. and need the protection of a juvenile court because you have been abused, abandoned, or neglected by a parent, you may be eligible under this category, provided that you satisfy all other statutory requirements. Generally, you must be unmarried and under 21, currently living in the U.S., and have a valid juvenile court order issued by a state court. You might also need written consent from the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) or Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) to be sent to the court’s jurisdiction depending on your circumstances.


If you work as a broadcaster for the International Broadcasting Bureau of the U.S. Broadcasting Board of Governors (BBG) or its grantees such as Radio Free Asia, Inc (RFA) or Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Inc. (RFE/RL), you may receive permanent residency for yourself and your spouse and children. Broadcasters include reporters, writers, translators, editors, producers, or announcers for news broadcasts; hosts for news broadcasts, news analysis, editorial, and other broadcast features; or a news analysis specialist. It does not include individuals performing purely technical or support services. This pathway highlights the EB-4 visa requirements and processing times, ensuring green cards for religious workers and broadcasters under the employment-based 4th category.

Long-Term International Organizations Employees

Certain G-4 or NATO-6 Employees and their family members may benefit under this category if they meet the residency requirement. The benefit could extend to retired G-4 officers or the surviving spouse of a G-4 officer or employee under N status.

International Employees of the U.S. Government Abroad

Employees or honorably retired employees of the U.S. Government outside of the U.S. and their family members may be eligible for green cards under this category. Fifteen years of employment and a recommendation from the principal officer of a Foreign Service establishment are required. The Secretary of State must ratify the recommendation and must also find it in the national interest to grant your permanent residency status.

Armed Forces Members

Special immigrant status may be granted under the EB-4 visa to a select number of foreign nationals who have honourably served on active duty in the Armed Forces of the U.S. after October 15, 1978, for at least 12 years in total. For those presently serving, a minimum of 6 years of service with documentation of re-enlistment to complete 12 years is necessary. The enlistment must originate outside the U.S., with the military department endorsing the green card for religious workers or other EB-4 categories.

Panama Canal Zone Employees

Individuals who were part of the Panama Canal Zone’s workforce, including those employed for at least one year by the Zone or its government as of June 16, 1978, when the treaty initiating the Canal’s handover to Panama was enacted, are eligible for EB-4 special immigrant status. This employment-based 4th category also extends to retired employees with fifteen years of service or those with five years of service who faced personal safety risks due to their employment.

Certain Physicians

Physicians who completed their education at a foreign medical school entered the U.S. on an H or J non-immigrant visa and obtained a license to practice medicine in the U.S. by January 9, 1978, may qualify for the EB-4 category if they have remained in the U.S. engaging in medical practice or study ever since. These individuals must navigate the i360 petition and I-360 application processes, including managing the i-360 fee and understanding the i-360 processing time for religious workers.

Afghan and Iraqi Translators

Nationals of Iraq or Afghanistan who have served as translators or interpreters for the U.S. Armed Forces or under COM authority for a minimum of one year qualify for EB-4 special immigrant status. Achieving this requires a favourable recommendation from a General or Flag Officer within the U.S. Armed Forces or from the Chief of Mission at the embassy where the service was provided. This pathway underlines the EB-4 visa requirements and the EB-4 religious worker green card process, highlighting the EB4 priority date and next steps such as I 360 approval what next.

Afghan and Iraqi Nationals Who Have Provided Service in Support of U.S. Operations

This category is specially designated for Afghan and Iraqi nationals who have rendered faithful and valuable service to the U.S. Government, being employed directly or indirectly by the U.S. Government in Iraq for a minimum period of one year starting on or after March 20, 2003. Eligibility extends to those who have faced or are currently facing serious threats due to their employment. This pathway under the EB-4 visa or employment-based 4th category offers a critical lifeline for these individuals, acknowledging their contributions and sacrifices by providing an opportunity for permanent residency in the United States.


Request a Consultation

"*" indicates required fields

How Can We Help
I Have Read The Disclaimer*
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.