Temporary or Non-Immigrant Pathways For Foreign Workers?

Erick Widman

As one of the largest and most diverse economies in the world, the United States has long been a sought-after destination for foreign workers seeking new opportunities and experiences. Fortunately, there are several temporary or non-immigrant pathways available for those looking to work in the US for a limited period of time. From visas for highly skilled workers to programs for seasonal or agricultural workers, these pathways offer a range of options for foreign nationals hoping to gain valuable experience in the US job market. In this article, we will explore some of the most common temporary and non-immigrant pathways available for foreign workers looking to come to the United States.

H-1B visa

This visa is for foreign workers who have a job offer from a U.S. employer in a specialty occupation. This is typically a job that requires a bachelor’s degree or higher in a specific field. The H-1B visa is valid for up to three years and can be extended up to six years.

L-1 visa

This visa is for foreign workers who are being transferred from a company outside of the U.S. to a U.S. office of the same company. The foreign worker must have worked for the foreign company for at least one year in the past three years. The L-1 visa is valid for up to three years for an initial application and up to five years for a renewal application.

E-1 and E-2 visas

These visas are for foreign nationals from countries that have a treaty of commerce and navigation with the U.S. The E-1 visa is for treaty traders, who engage in substantial trade between the U.S. and their home country. The E-2 visa is for treaty investors, who invest a significant amount of capital in a U.S. business. Both the E-1 and E-2 visas are valid for up to two years, with the possibility of renewals.

O-1 visa

This visa is for foreign workers who have extraordinary ability in the arts, sciences, education, business, or athletics. The O-1 visa is valid for up to three years and can be extended in one-year increments.

TN visa

This visa is available to citizens of Canada and Mexico who are coming to the U.S. to work in certain professional occupations under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). The TN visa is valid for up to three years and can be renewed.

J-1 visa

This visa is for foreign nationals who are coming to the U.S. for a specific purpose, such as research, teaching, or training. The J-1 visa is valid for the duration of the program, which can range from a few months to several years.
There are several other temporary and non-immigrant visas available depending on the specific circumstances of the foreign worker. It’s important to consult with an experienced immigration lawyer to determine the best pathway for a particular situation.

Request a Consultation

"*" indicates required fields

How Can We Help
I Have Read The Disclaimer*
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.