Replacing a Misplaced or Expired Green Card

Erick Widman

Things happen. Things get misplaced, lost, and stolen. When traveling, there is even a greater risk of this happening. No matter how careful you are, there is always a risk of losing important identity and travel documents, such as your passport or Permanent Resident Card, when you carry them with you on trips, or even just during your normal daily routine.

When a Permanent Resident Card (or Green Card) is lost or stolen, there are steps you can take to get it replaced. Once you have determined that it is truly missing–whether it was stolen, accidentally destroyed, or misplaced–you should proceed with filing Form I-90 with US Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS). You should also file this application if your Green Card contains incorrect information, has expired, or will expire soon.

USCIS’s Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, can be used for any of the following reasons:

  • Your previous card has been lost, stolen, destroyed, or mutilated
  • Your previous card was issued but never received
  • Your existing card has incorrect data because of a Department of Homeland Security error
  • Your name or other biographic information has legally changed, or if your card has incorrect data and the error was not caused by the Department of Homeland Security
  • your existing card has already expired or will expire within six months
  • You have reached your 14th birthday and are required to register
  • You are a permanent resident who is taking up commuter status
  • You are a commuter who is taking up actual residence in the United States
  • You have been automatically converted to lawful permanent resident status
  • You have a prior edition of the Alien Registration Card, or are applying to replace your current Permanent Resident Card for a reason that is not specified above.

Form I-90 requires a government filing fee of $455 plus an additional biometrics servicing fee of $85 for most individuals. In some cases, the filing fee for this application may be waived if the replacement is due to a Department of Homeland Security, USCIS, or USPS error.

In addition to the filing fee, you should include with your application a photocopy of your current Green Card (front and back), a copy of the I-797C Notice of Action, Approval Notice for your most recent immigration benefit, and, in some cases, a photocopy of your passport or birth certificate. You may also need to include evidence of any corrections that need to be made to your card if that is the purpose of the replacement, such as proof of the correct spelling or your name, a legal name change, or your date of birth.

Keep in mind that the I-90 is not the same as the I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, or I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions. These applications are required when you are currently a conditional resident in the US and you wish to maintain your status. The I-90 is to be used only for replacing a 10-year (non-conditional) green card that has already been issued to you.

Request a Consultation

"*" indicates required fields

How Can We Help
I Have Read The Disclaimer*
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.