Types of Student Visas

According to research conducted by Statista in 2021, there were more or less 900,000 international students in the United States in the 2020/21 academic year.

Indeed, many consider the United States the greatest nation in the world for education, among other things.

Many aspire to live and study in the U.S. for better employment opportunities in the future. Because of this, they dream to have a life and an education America could ever offer.

However, not everyone can enter the United States without meeting the requirements or prerequisites. One must obtain a visa that is best suitable for him or her. For some, it is easy to do so. But at most times, it is hard or even impossible for the majority. Especially for those who are neither citizens nor immigrants.

With this, one of the options many sought in order to live and study in the U.S. is through student visas.

The three available student visa options for foreign students are F-1, J-1, and M-1 visas.

What is an F-1 Visa?

The F-1 visa is issued for academic studies. This type of visa allows students to live and study in the U.S. for a specified period.

The F-1 visa is specifically issued to international students who will study for either an academic program or an English language program. International students who are in the U.S. through this visa can work for a limited number of hours per week.

What is a J-1 Visa?

The J-1 visa is specifically issued for cultural and educational exchange programs that are accredited through Exchange Visitor Programs, which the U.S State Department oversees.

This J-1 visa is best suitable for international students who need practical training related to their academic programs. Moreover, practical training should be unavailable in their home countries. This type of visa allows students to work and study in the United States under sponsored programs by Educational or Non-profit institutions.

What is an M-1 Visa?

The M-1 visa is issued for non-academic or vocational studies. This type of visa is granted to students who can present evidence of sufficient funds to cover tuition and living costs during the period of stay while studying in the United States.

Among the three student visa options, only this visa type does not allow international students to work while studying in the U.S.


Request a Consultation

"*" indicates required fields

How Can We Help
I Have Read The Disclaimer*
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.