Removal of Conditions


I-751 Removal of Conditions on Permanent Residency is required for all conditional permanent residents who received a 2-year green card. It does not matter if they obtained the green card through Consular Processing abroad (I-130) or through Adjustment of Status in the US (I-485).  Conditional green cards (valid for 2 years) are issued to any intending immigrant who obtained their status through marriage to a US citizen but has been married for less than 2 years at the time of their interview. 

Form I-751 should be filed 90 days before the expiration date on the 2-year green card. This petition asks for updated biographical information and evidence of the ongoing relationship between the intending immigrant and their US citizen spouse. In some cases, the applicant and their spouse are required to attend a new interview at the local USCIS field office to prove their relationship is bonafide.

If the applicant and her spouse have separated or divorced since obtaining the 2-year green card, the I-751 can be filed with a waiver and without the involvement of the US citizen, as long as the marriage was entered into in good faith and dissolved for reasons unrelated to the applicant’s immigration case.

Here’s how to remove conditions on your permanent residency: